Friday, January 20, 2017

Not quite a success...

So the good news is we ate dinner last night.  The bad news, it took some to get there...

A few years back I had a friend tell me about a simple dinner she feeds her kids.  It's called South Dakota Supper.  Simple enough, you slice potatoes, layer them on the bottom of a pan, add seasoned ground beef on top of the potatoes, and cover with a can of cream corn.  Bake until potatoes are done.    I thought to myself, it's potatoes, I can do this in my pc.  Um not quite.  I had a busy day, I was teaching pre-teens to sew until late in the afternoon, but no worries, I had plans to use my pc for dinner.    So I sliced 2 potatoes, layered them in a foil pan that fits in my pressure cooker.  seasoned with salt and pepper.  I browned a pound of ground turkey (see me trying to be healthier?) seasoned my meat with fajita seasoning, because everything is better with garlic and chili powder.  Added meat to my potatoes and covered with the corn.  Since my potatoes are sliced thin, I reasoned that 6 minutes on high would be sufficient.  Nope.  the potatoes were still crunchy.  So I went for another 6 minutes on high.  This time they were less crunchy, but not edible.  I took my foil pan out of the cooker, poured my casserole in a Pyrex bowl and covered the top, 3 minutes in the microwave for fully cooked potatoes.

So on the one hand, we did get to eat.  And it tasted very good.  On  the other hand, I realized that Potatoes need to be exposed to the steam that builds up the pressure, and being in a foil pan on top of the trivet above the water did nothing to help soften the tubers.  Live and learn.  Next time I'll just cook the old fashioned way and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment